How to apply
Relevant Bachelor degree (or equivalent) with above-average success in Integrated Life Sciences, Physics, Mathematics, Biology. The MSc programm is particularly aimed at graduates of interdisciplinary biophysical or biomathematical study courses and at graduates with a BSc in related disciplines such as Physics, Biology, or Mathematics with a strong interest in interdisciplinary biological questions.
If there is no clear equality of the Bachelor of the applicant with the Bachelor of Integrated Life Sciences, or if the mark of the BSc is 2.6 or worse, the applicants have to pass the Admission test.
The Admission test will be held if required, as soon as possible after formal application of the candidate. It consists of an oral examination of about 30 minutes (Skype interview possible upon request).
The test shall show if the applicant is able to reach the goal of the study course independently and responsibly on a scientific base. It will test for the basic required knowledge in Biology, Mathematics, and Physics.
The test will be held by the admittance committee of the ILS program. The examination date will be announced at least one week before.
The applicants have to bear the arising expenses by themselves.
The appraisal of the test is “passed” or “failed”. The admittance committee can impose additional requirements for the admittance.
You can repeat the test one time within a year. A second repetition is not possible.
- The required English level is “Vantage or upper intermediate” level (B2) according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, or an equivalent score in an internationally recognised test, eg. IELTS 5.5, TOEFL pbt 552. Six years of English lessons at a German Gymnasium shall also suffice as proof; applicants whose native language is English need not submit any such proof.
- Proof of German proficiency is not required. However, we strongly recommend to visit German courses during the MSc studies.
- Secondary education certificate
- University degree certificate with transcript of records
- Proof of English proficiency at level B2 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages
- Motivation letter
- Application deadline: 15th of July. For international applicants we strongly recommend to apply until 31st of May.
Address for applications
- 1st step: Online application via Campo
- 2nd step: Send application documents to the following address:
Referat L4 – Masterbüro
Subject advisor and degree programme coordination
- What type of certification is required for the documents?
Formalities for certification
An official certification must include the following:
- a statement specifying that the copy corresponds to the original (this statement must be written in German, English or French)
- a signature on behalf of the authority issuing the certification
- an official stamp
The official stamp should usually contain an emblem – a stamp showing only text is not sufficient. If a copy has several pages, it must be shown that each page is part of the same certificate. It is sufficient for the statement and signature to be included on only one page provided that all pages are placed on top of one another, stapled together and stamped in such a way that part of the official stamp is visible on each page. Each page may also be certified individually. If this is the case, please ensure that your name is specified on each page of the original document. If this is not the case, it should be included in the statement. Statements must also include a comment on the type of certificate.
If a page is printed on both sides and the content of both sides is relevant, the statement must refer to both sides (for example: ‘Hiermit wird amtlich beglaubigt, dass die vor-/umstehende Kopie mit dem Original übereinstimmt’ or ‘It is hereby certified that the copy above and overleaf corresponds to the original’). If this is not the case, both sides must be certified individually.
If the original document contains an embossed seal, this will usually not be visible on the copy. In this case, the statement should also specify that an embossed seal is present on the original certificate.
Documents cannot be accepted if the certification does not meet the requirements.
2.) Which type of funding opportunities for international master students are available at FAU?
Unfortunately, unlike in some countries, German universities do not have any funding available to support international students with their living costs. For this reason, international students usually receive scholarships from their home country or use their own funds to finance their studies.